Here is your complete guide to achieving the best possible throat hit while you are vaping.
The Best Throat Hit
A throat hit is that feeling you get in the back of your throat when the vapour from your e-cigarette hits it. You can adjust it if you have the right tool, and by “tool” we do mean vape. Not all vapes let you adjust your airflow, wattage, and voltage, but those that do give you an edge when it comes to controlling your throat hit. A vape that at least allows for airflow and wattage or airflow and voltage control will do the trick. Ideally, you also want to be using a refillable vape because the e-juice that you’re vaping definitely matters when it comes to controlling the throat hit on your vape. So let’s get into it. Here’s how you can improve your throat hit to make it perfect.
There’s more than one way to go about strengthening the throat hit of your vapour. If you want a stronger hit, you can use one or more of these techniques:
- High-strength vape juice. Nicotine makes your vapour harsh so the more nicotine you have in your e-juice the stronger your throat hit will be. If you already know what the nicotine strength is for you or if you vape nicotine-free vape juice then you might be better off trying a different method.
- Menthol vape juice. You can get just about any flavour in a menthol version these days thanks to the widespread popularity of iced e-liquids. The menthol strengthens the throat hit so it’s a simple solution if you enjoy menthol e-liquid.
- Hemp wicks. You might not be able to change your wick to a hemp one with your device but doing so can strengthen the throat hit. If your e-cig is designed in a way that allows you to change your wick, switching from cotton to hemp (assuming you’re currently using cotton, which is typical) can lead to a stronger hit.
- Turn up the heat. Vapes with voltage and wattage controls will allow you to turn up the heat and get a stronger, more flavourful hit.
- Tighten the airflow. If your vape has an airflow collar then all you have to do is tighten it (don’t completely shut it or you won’t be able to vape) and your throat hit will become stronger.
- More PG than VG. The more PG (propylene glycol) is in your e-juice, the stronger the throat hit will be. Not all vape juices use the same VG-to-PG ratio so make sure you’re paying attention when you buy your e-liquid.
Don’t want a huge hit with a strong punch that hits you in the back of the throat? Prefer something a little more casual when you’re vaping? Then here are the methods that you can use to make your throat hit smoother:
- Open the airflow collar. Let more air inside your vape and you will find that the vapour is a lot lighter and smoother.
- Try a cotton wick. If you’re using a hemp wick, switch to a cotton one if possible. This will result in a gentler hit.
- Use nic salts. If you’re vaping with nicotine and you’re not using nicotine salts, try using salts instead. One of the benefits of nic salts is that they’re smoother, so you have that to your advantage.
- More VG than PG. Juices with higher concentrations of VG are smoother so look for a high VG e-liquid.
- Lower the power. Vaping with less power will result in a gentler throat hit. Devices that allow you to turn down the voltage or wattage make it possible to control the vaping power. Turn them down and enjoy a gentler vaping experience.
Why Your Device & E-Juice Matter
Not all vapes have airflow and power controls that let you control how they operate. This is why it’s a good idea to use a vape that does have these features. With them, you will have greater control over the vapour that is produced. In turn, this can lead to a more enjoyable vaping experience.
Take a look at this vape pen if you’re in the market for a new one that has adjustable airflow and variable wattage controls built into it. It also has a refillable tank, which can be just as important if not more than adjustments for wattage and airflow. If you like the idea of using a vape mod, that may very well be your best bet. Vape mods tend to be larger, heavier devices, making them less convenient to carry. As a result, we’re not huge fans of mods. You, however, may find them to be rather ideal given the unrivalled power and control that they provide at the expense of portability.
The e-juice you choose to vape has a big impact on the vapour that your e-cig produces. Cheap juices usually don’t stack up against the premium ones, which is why we always recommend going with high-quality juice and making sure that it’s made to strict standards. Buying vape juice out of the EU is a great way to ensure higher quality because regulations there require e-juice to be made and bottled in a very specific manner with the goal of providing a baseline for safety and quality. We prefer this vape juice brand.
Nic Salts & Throat Hit
One of the biggest innovations we’ve seen in the world of vaping is the use of nicotine salts. This pH-balanced form of nicotine is smoother than the competition and this allows it to be used at higher strengths without making the throat hit so rough that it’s uncomfortable to vape.